Friday, November 21, 2008

comedy in the wild



I was walking down the sidewalk the other day, trying to get around a mouth-breathing, massive-headed, plodding woman, measuring roughly 5’2” 265lbs. As she walked past one of New York’s ubiquitous sidewalk fruit stands, she nonchalantly pawed a handful of cherries and rammed them into her mouth in stride, pits and all, like a gasping marathon runner, right in front of the fruit stand owner. She didn’t stop. She didn’t pay. She didn’t even blink. I thought for sure they knew each other.

When I turned around, the utterly helpless little middle-eastern dude had this exact gesture and expression on his face, which he held until she turned the corner a block down.

When I’m feeling down, I just think of this little incident, and everything’s better again.

No comments: